F. Peter Müller
German Patent Attorney
European Patent and Trade Mark Attorney
Authorized representative at the Austrian Patent Office
- Partner -
- Electrical Engineer (Dipl.-Ing. Univ.)
- Technical Universities of Munich, Germany and Lund, Sweden
- Law Studies for Patent Attorneys at the University of Hagen, Germany
- Member of the board of directors and 2014-2016 President of ECTA (European Communities Trademark Association)
|1990 - 1994
||Studies at the Technical University of Munich, Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich and the Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden
||Scholarship of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, Bonn
|1989 - 1992
||Business Consultant at Andersen Consulting, Germany, and various traineeships at
Siemens AG, Germany
||Internship at US-patent law firm Hopgood Calimafde Judlowe and Mondolino LLP in New York
|1994 - 1997
||Professional training with patent law firm Müller, Schupfner & Gauger and at the District Court of Düsseldorf
|1995 - 1997
||Law Studies for Patent Attorneys at the University of Hagen
|1997 - 1998
||Traineeship at the German Patent and Trademark Office and the German Federal Patent Court in Munich, Germany
||Admission as German Patent Attorney
||Patent Consultant at the Swiss Patent Department of Siemens AG, formerly Landis & Gyr AG; Associate at Müller, Schupfner & Gauger
||European Qualifying Examination, Admission as European Patent Attorney
||Partner of Müller, Schupfner & Gauger, now Müller Schupfner & Partner
|2002 - 2003
||Mediation Studies at the University of Hagen, Mediation Examination
||Election as President of ECTA (European Communities Trademark Association)
Areas of Expertise:
Medical devices, automatic control systems, information technology, telecommunication and semiconductor technology, packaging technology, metal alloys, construction technology, electronic systems and integrated circuits, machinery, ultrasonic technology, software
Patent and trademark infringement proceedings; patent and trademark opposition and revocation proceedings; drafting patent applications and coordinating examination procedures worldwide; trademark applications and portfolio management; drafting and negotiation of agreements; consulting on employees’ inventions law; design applications and infringement proceedings; mediation
FICPI, CNIPA, EPI, ECTA, KAS, BPV, BVDP, INTA, BdPa, GRUR, AIPPI, MAP, INGRES
- Member of the Council of the European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA, Brussels)
- Member of the Advisory Committee of the European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA, Brussels)
- Member of the Standards Commission of the International Mediation Institute (IMI, The Hague)
- Immediate Past President of the European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA, Brussels)
- Former Chair of the WIPO Link Committee (ECTA, Brussels)
- Member of the Panel of Neutrals of INTA
- Member of the Panel of Neutrals of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO, Geneva)
- Member of the Panel of Neutrals of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR, New York);
- IMI (International Mediation Institute) certified Mediator
- Former President of the Mediation Association of German Patent and Trademark Attorneys (MAP, Munich)
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the International Trademark Association (INTA, New York)
- Former Managing committee member of the Committee for Computer Software Protection of the Federal Association of German Patent Attorneys, Munich
- Former Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee (ADR) of INTA
- Former Chair of the Professional Affairs Committee (PAC) of ECTA
- Former President of the CTM Advisory Initiative Association, Munich
- ”Control of Systems with Backlash”, Department of Automatic Control, Lund Intitute of Technology, ISSN 0280-5316,1994
- ”Die Patent- und Markenabteilung im Unternehmen”, F.P. Müller, Mitteilungen der Deutschen Patentanwälte 1999, S.422 – 427
- An Educational Mediation Video „Resolution Through Mediation: Solving a Complex International Business Problem”; F. Peter Müller as the Mediator; Released at INTA's 125th Anniversary Annual Meeting in Amsterdam, in cooperation with CPR - International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution, Inc.; 2003. https://imimediation.org/resolution-through-mediation-video
- The Community Trademark and the National Trademark. Are they in Harmony? The German point of view“, ECTA Gazette, March 31, 2010
International Speaking Engagements:
- Regular IP Seminar, “Introduction in Intellectual Property Rights”, University for Applied Science in Weihenstephan, Germany, frequently
- Seminar of the Department for Criminal Law, Law Philosophy and IT-Law, University of Tübingen, “Negotiating and Mediating in IP Disputes”, Blaubeuren, December 11/12, 1999
- 125th Annual Meeting of INTA, “International Alternative Dispute Resolution – A Mock Demonstration”, Amsterdam, May 7, 2003
- Seminar on Mediation at the German Federal Patent Court, Munich, July 21, 2003
- Seminar of the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, “Patents and Trade Marks as an effective Tool to Protect Innovations”, Munich, November 24, 2005
- IBC UK Conference, Mediation of IP Disputes, “A view from the IP profession”, London, May 22, 2006
- Mediation Interest Group Meeting, (WIPO), “The Role of Counsel in Mediation”, Geneva, September 1, 2006
- 129th Annual Meeting of INTA: „Mediation Workshop“, Introduction to Mediation in IP Disputes, Chicago, April 30, 2007
- IBC UK Conference “Early Resolution in IP”, IP mediation – insights into cases that have worked and cases that haven`t, London, May 18, 2007
- IBC UK Conference, IP Leaders Forum, “How to efficiently manage IP and technology disputes”, Montreux, September 18, 2007.
- IBC Euroforum Sweden, Varumärkesdagen 2008, “Generating Outcomes in Impossible Situations - The Power of Mediation”, Stockholm, January 18, 2008
- ECTA Council Meeting, “Effective Dispute Resolution – What are the Alternatives?”, Munich, October 17, 2008
- 131th Annual Meeting of INTA, “Effective Dispute Resolution –What are the Alternatives”, Seattle, Mai 20, 2009.
- ECTA Annual Meeting, “Enforcement of Community Trademarks in the EU”, Barcelona, June 17, 2010
- 134th Annual Meeting of INTA,“SENIORITY MANAGEMENT - Why dropping national trademarks might harm your brand”, Washington, Mai 07, 2012.
- AIPPI Baltic Conference, “Authorship rights and IP rights – How to avoid disputes between the authors and the applicants”; Riga, April 20, 2011.
- IBC UK Conference, “Enforcement Strategies & Pitfalls emerging from Seniority Claims and Older National Trademark Termination”, London, July 3, 2012, London.
- INGRES, "Die Revision des EU Markenrechts“, Zürich, Januar 27, 2014.
- Lions Club München-Bavaria, "Intellektuelle Wegelagerei! Wie mit Schutzrechten „abgezockt" wird", Munich, February 17, 2014.
- European Commission, IPKey - Celebrating 10 years of the EU-China IP Dialogue Mechanism, „Future reinforced cooperation activities between the EU and China on IP matters”, Brussels, June 29, 2015.
- VPP – Association of Intellectual Property Experts, Regional Group Mid-South, “The EU Trade Mark Reform”, BASF-Ludwigshafen, September 30, 2015.
- FORUM – 15th International Trademark Conference, „The harmonization of basic procedures in national trademark law: Overview of the new TM Directive – Chances and Pitfalls“, Alicante, March 9, 2016.
- IPDR Munich IP Dispute Resolution Formum at the Max Planck Institute – Mediation in IP Disputes FRAND and other challenges for IP ADR Institutions: “WIPO ADR Procedures for the Resolution of IP Disputes, including FRAND”, Munich, June 28, 2016.